Sunday, August 6, 2017

Day 1 - Catonsville to Toledo, OH

I have to say, today was pretty uneventful.  That's good, but that also means that I don't have any really good stories to tell!  The weather was great, although a little chilly until after noon, when the sun finally came out in Ohio.  Margo saw me off at about 7:45am and I stuck to the interstates today in order to make better time on my 485 mile drive.  There were a few scattered raindrops, but all in all, it was a good riding day with very light traffic.

By the time I got into Toledo on a Sunday afternoon, any attractions I might have wanted to see were already closed (not that there were many).  Margo and I had just finished talking on the phone about how there really weren't any places in the visitor's guide that I was willing to go back out for.  Even the Mud Hens are out of town tonight, or I would have checked out Fifth Third Field to see them.  Fifth Third, in case you are wondering, as we were, is the name of a bank in this area.  The original bank was taken over by a 3rd National Bank, and that was bought by a 5th Bank, thus the very strange stadium name of Fifth Third Field.  Anyway, I had just settled on the idea of staying in when JY (Margo's dad) texted me "If you're interested http://www.tonypacko.com/history.php".  Turns out Tony Packo's is a Hungarian hot dog place that Jamie Farr's character Corporal Klinger mentioned at least 6 different times on the tv show M*A*S*H.  How could I pass up the opportunity to check it out?!  There was a location only 4 miles away so that's where I went for dinner.  Interesting place.  They have Hungarian-type food, including stuffed cabbage rolls and chicken paprikas with dumplings, but their big thing is a Hungarian sausage on a hot dog bun with chili, onions, and mustard.  It was decent, but I don't need to go back again and it probably wasn't worth the calories I blew on it, but the wall decor was interesting.  Any time a famous person eats there, they have them sign a foam hot dog bun and they hang it on the wall.  Their hot dog chili has even been to space on a space shuttle Columbia mission. 

Tomorrow I'll make my way north through Michigan to the upper peninsula to visit the 3 great lakes I haven't seen yet!
 Ready to roll
 Signed hot dog buns at Tony Packo's in Toledo
 The M*A*S*H - Tony Packo's connection
Hungarian hot dog with pickles and paprikas dumplings

2 comments:

  1. so based on the signed hot dogs, not too many famous people have been to the hot dog place!!! safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh there were lots more than that - I just didn't take pictures of all of them. And there are more locations with more signed buns!

      Delete