Sunday, June 28, 2009

The iPod in my head

Since it didn't seem prudent to bring my ipod along for the trip - not legal to wear while driving/riding anyway - I've been making due with the music that plays in my head. I don't really consider myself to be at all musically talented, but I am a music-wannabe and I do hear songs pretty clearly in my head as they come to me. Some of these will make immediate sense, and some I don't even understand where they've come from, but for better or for worse, here is my playlist so far...I'll update it as I go along, as I'm sure I've forgotten some and will think of more later. I've tried to put them in order, relative to my route across the country.

On the Road Again - Willie Nelson
Born to Be Wild - Steppenwolf
Raindrops Keep Fallin' on my Head - BJ Thomas
It's Raining Men - The Weather Girls
The Pennsylvania Polka - Jimmy Sturr
Tuesday Morning - Melissa Etheridge (tribute to Flight 93)
King of the Road - Roger Miller
Ohio - Crosby, Stills, and Nash
Suicide is Painless (M*A*S*H) - Johnny Mandel (Toledo = Mud Hens = Cpl. Klinger)
Day and Night - Bette Midler (playing in Walgreens when I stopped there)
Gary, Indiana - cast of the Music Man
All that Jazz - Catherine Zeta-Jones/Bebe Neuwirth - from Chicago
Cell Block Tango - from Chicago
Duke of Dubuque - Manhattan Transfer
Pink Houses - John Mellencamp
Mississippi Queen - Mountain
Just Around the Riverbend - Judy Kuhn (from Pocahontas)
Theme from Close Encounters - John Williams
Scarecrow - Melissa Etheridge (tribute to Matthew Shepherd)
Here Comes the Rain Again - the Eurythmics
Wild Blue Yonder - Air Force Academy band
Casey Junior (Comin' Down the Track) - from Dumbo
Rocky Mountain High - John Denver
Top of the World - the Carpenters
Ghost Riders in the Sky - Johnny Cash
Colorado - Merle Haggard
The Lion Sleeps Tonight - the Tokens
Home on the Range - Gene Autry
Route 66 - the Manhattan Transfer (Oklahoma City looks mighty pretty, you'll see Amarillo)
Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen (take a long ride on my motorbike)
Riders on the Storm - the Doors
Volcano - Jimmy Buffett
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Yellow Rose of Texas
Oklahoma!
Friends in Low Places - Garth Brooks (Yukon, OK is apparently his hometown)
Follow the Yellow Brick Road - (What else in Kansas?)
Wichita Lineman - Glen Campbell
Rhinestone Cowboy - Glen Campbell (an extension of Wichita Lineman, plus I know more of the words)
Tie a Yellow Ribbon 'Round the Old Oak Tree - Tony Orlando and Dawn (Please tell me that this man does indeed have a theater in Branson, Missouri! If not, it was stuck in my head all day for no reason!)
Walking in Memphis - Marc Cohn (This was my favorite song to sing on this trip!)
Nashville - Indigo Girls
Before He Cheats - Carrie Underwood (On the big screen in The Opry Store)
Rockytop
Blue Moon of Kentucky - Patsy Cline
Country Roads, Take Me Home - John Denver

1 comment:

  1. You should load that soundtrack up and burn it to cd's. It sounds like a great, eclectic mix!!

    ReplyDelete